Learn-to-Swim 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Purpose: To begin developing positive attitudes, good swimming habits and safe practices in and around the water.
- Participants start at about 6 years of age.
Certification Requirements: Demonstrate competency in all requires skills and activities including in-water skills.
Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Enter independently, using either the ladder, steps or side, travel at least 5 yards, bob 3 times then safely exit the water. (Participants can walk, move along the gutter or “swim.”)
- Glide on front at least 2 body lengths, roll to a back float for 3 seconds and recover to a vertical position. (This part of the assessment can be performed with support.)
Learning Objectives of Level 1:
- Enter and exit the water safely using a ladder, steps or side
- Blow bubbles through mouth and nose
- Open eyes under water and retrieve submerged objects
- Front and back glides and floats
- Recover to vertical position
- Roll from front to back and back to front
- Tread water using arm and hand actions
- Alternating and simultaneous leg actions on front and back
- Alternating and simultaneous arm actions on front and back
- Combined arm and leg actions on front and back
- Learn how to stay safe, including recognizing an emergency and knowing how to call for help
- Learn how to stay safe in, on and around the water, including the use of a life jacket, recognizing lifeguards and sun safety