Learn-to-Swim 4: Stroke Improvement
Purpose: To develop participants’ confidence in the strokes learned in Level 3 and to improve other aquatic skills.
Prerequisite: Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 3: Stroke Development certificate OR successful demonstration of all certification requirements from Level 3.
Certification Requirements: Demonstrate competency in all requires skills and activities including in-water skills.
Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
1. Perform a feet first entry into deep water, swim front crawl for 25 yards, change direction and position as necessary and swim elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
2. Swim breaststroke for 15 yards, change direction and position as necessary and swim back crawl for 15 yards.
Learning Objectives of Level 4:
- Headfirst entries from the side in compact and stride positions
- Swim under water
- Feet first surface dive
- Survival swimming
- Front crawl and backstroke open turns
- Tread water using 2 different kicks
- Front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly
- Flutter and dolphin kicks on back
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn what to think about and do when exhausted or caught in a dangerous situation
- Learn to perform simple non-swimming assists
- Learn about recreational water illnesses and how to prevent them